Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A 55-200mm lens for Nikon D3200 #lens #55-200mm

So, I'm sure plenty of you have searched for a lens. The whole deciding factor can be tedious especially if you have no idea what you should be looking for or in my case know what distance you want. You could go for a prime lens which just means it does NOT zoom in or out. So whichever you buy that's as far as you'll be seeing. There are also kit lenses, at first I wasn't sure what this was. After many forums and asking on Facebook groups kit lenses are not considered professional and are viewed as mommy lenses that you don't have to switch out. Now with that said the lens I was looking to get was the 18-140 or 18-200 for a Nikon D3200. When I had asked about this lens I was initially asked what I was shooting. Well, I was going to use it for many things...such as portrait, landscape and some action. Let me be the first to tell you that this lens is considered a kit lens and not one if you are wanting a great quality picture. At first all this information can be very overwhelming and I won't lie it still kinda is. After researching and changing my mind more times then I care to say I ended up with a 55-200. Why the big change? Well, my lens I have now is the 18-55mm. So to get a 18-140 would be having the same distance I already had with my original lens and some extra. So My husband and I decided to go with the lens that started where my other ended. We went to a trip to North Carolina recently and I'll say I didn't use my 55-200 as much as I thought as I would. It came handy when we had spotted a bear that was a pretty good distance from us. So it being my first new lens I am happy with it. I still think a 18-140 would work great. Especially if you are not wanting to change lens and also keep in mind guys if you are just starting out getting a lens you are not completely sure about won't be the end of everything. Thats how us photographers and hobbyist learn. You have to be willing to take that plunge to learn for yourself. See what works, I know it's mind numbing researching and reading pros and cons on what you're looking at but if at first you really wanted it well, I'd say go for it. You could also buy used from a reliable seller. Do not buy a brand new one, especially if it's going to be your first lens. Once you learn more  and from mistakes then you'll be able to pour some big bucks on the fancier lens but don't feel pressure to do that at first. Remember you're starting out, have some fun with it without having to ask every tom, dick and harry what they think you should be getting. Hope this was somewhat helpful. =] Tell me about some of your first lens buying stories! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment